At the request of JCP&L, customers without power are encouraged to report their outage by calling 1-888-LIGHTSS (1-888-544-4877), clicking the “Report Outage” link on www.firstenergycorp.com, or by texting "OUT" to 544487.
Customers should immediately report downed wires to 1-888-LIGHTSS (1-888-544-4877), or call their local police or fire department. In the event of a down wire in the Borough of Far Hills, please contact the Far Hills Police Department at 908.234.1192. JCP&L reminds customers to stay away from downed wires, even if they believe they are no longer carrying electricity. Extra caution should be used in areas where downed lines are tangled with trees or other debris. Motorists are cautioned to treat intersections with inoperable traffic signals as four-way stops.
JCP&L customers can subscribe to email and text message alert notifications to receive weather updates in advance of major storms and updates on scheduled or extended power outages. Visit www.firstenergycorp.com/connect to enroll.
In preparation for a storm, JCP&L suggests the following:
- Keep flashlights and fresh batteries in your home. Avoid using candles to light your home, especially around children and pets.
- If you have a water well and pump, keep an emergency supply of bottled water and/or fill your bathrub with fresh water.
- Stock an emergency supply of concenience foods that do not require cooking.
- Have a hard-wired telephone or a charged cell phone handy in the event you need to report your electricity is out. Mobil phones can be charged in yuor cehivle useing a car charger when the power is out.
- Gather extra blankets or a sleeping bag for each person.
- Do not use gas stoves, kerosene heaters or other open-flame head sopurces indoors.
- Keep a battery-powered radio with extra batteries on hand. Tune to a local station for current storm information.