The Primary Election is scheduled for Tuesday, July 7, 2020 and will be conducted mainly by Vote-by-Mail ballots.
On May 15, 2020 Governor Murphy signed Executive Order 144, which directed the following:
- Registered, active Democrats and Republicans will be mailed ballots automatically.
- Unaffiliated and Inactive voters will be mailed a special application that they can use if they would like to receive a ballot for the July 7th Primary.
- A limited number of polling places will be open on Election Day where only provisional paper ballots will be available to cast your vote. Polls are open from 6:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Voters who need an accessible ballot may call the County Clerk’s Office or go to their assigned polling placewhere there will be an accessible voting device on Primary Election Day.
- A sample ballot will be posted at each polling place. Sample ballots will not be mailed out.
- Voters who receive a Vote-by-Mail ballot are encouraged to vote and mail their ballot to the Somerset County Board of Elections in the postage paid envelope as soon as possible. Ballots returned by mail must be postmarked no later than 8:00 p.m. on July 7, 2020.
- Ballots may also be placed in one of five secure Election Ballot Drop Boxes located throughout the County. The deadline for placing it in one of the secure drop boxes or for delivering your ballot in person to the Somerset County Board of Elections is 8:00 p.m. on July 7, 2020.
If you have questions, please call the County Clerk’s Office at 908-231-7013 or the County Board of Elections at 908-231-7084. Information can also be found on the Somerset County website at www.co.somerset.nj.us
How to return your ballot:
- U.S. Mail - Return it in the postage paid envelope you received with your ballot package
- Drop Box - Place it in one of the following five special drop boxes located throughout Somerset County.
- BERNARDS TOWNSHIP MUNICIPAL BUILDING, 1 Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge, NJ
- BRIDGEWATER TOWNSHIP MUNICIPAL BUILDING, 100 Commons Way, Bridgewater, NJ
- SOMERSET COUNTY ADMINISTRATION BUILDING, 20 Grove Street, Somerville, NJ
- HILLSBOROUGH MUNICIPAL BUILDING, 379 South Branch Road, Hillsborough, NJ
- FRANKLIN MUNICIPAL BUILDING, 475 DeMott Lane, Somerset, NJ
- In Person - Call the Board of Elections at 908-231-7084 to inquire about in-person drop off